We believe that it is our responsibility to care for the earth so that it can meet the needs of today’s generation and those to come. We are measuring, managing, and reducing our environmental impacts. Like parenting, we are constantly learning and doing our best to put these lessons into practice. Here is where we are today and what we are working to accomplish tomorrow.
1) Designing For Comfort, Durability, And The Environment
- What we are doing: For nearly 20 years we’ve been designing products that are loved by parents and babies for their ergonomic comfort and durability. In 2021, we took our first steps to include environmentally friendly materials and production processes in our designs. Our award winning Aerloom carrier is the first carrier to be made from Formaknit fabric, which is post-consumer, recyled ployster yarns (certified by Global Recyled Standards). 87% of the knit is made from recyled plastic bottles and the carrier is produced in small quanties to avoid wastage.
- Why it matters: Using fewer, safer materials ensures that we care for the safety and well-being of our planet, our children and the people who manufacture our products.
- Here’s our goal: This year we are extending our chemicals management program beyond current safety regulations. In conjunction with our carbon footprinting effort, we will be setting goals for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions generated by the materials and manufacturing of our products.
2) Ensuring Healthy And Safe Working Conditions For Producing Goods
- What we are doing: We collaborate with our established suppliers to ensure that the people producing our products are treated fairly and work in safe and healthy conditions. This includes forbidding the use of forced labour, child labour and discrimination. To provide accountability, Ergobaby’s factories hold social compliance certifications.
- Why it matters: We believe in taking care of people; those who wear our products and those who make our products.
- Here’s our goal: By 2022, we will complete a deep analysis of our material selection to further ensure the safety of work environments used to produce Ergobaby products.
Focus on sustainability and social responsibility in our supply chain:
Vietnam: Our partner in Vietnam takes a holistic approach to business and community wellness. In particular, it has helped address the needs of rural communities in Vietnam by donating 50 ambulances and reconstructing local bridges with stronger, safer materials. Additionally, the company has built on-site housing for employees. For those employees who have worked with the company for over 10 years, they may move into multi-generational housing.
India: Our partner in India has a robust sustainability program including a solar array that saved over 244 metric tons of CO2 in 2019 -- which is the equivalent emissions of driving 605,000 miles in a passenger vehicle. Additionally, energy demand was reduced by 10% by changing lighting systems. On-site water treatment ensures compliance with local pollution control board standards and is used to irrigate landscaping. The company also donates significant funding to local schools for infrastructure improvements.
3) Reducing Our Carbon Footprint
- What we are doing: We are measuring our company’s entire carbon footprint -- including emissions generated under Scope 1, 2 and 3 of the GHG Protocol to establish a baseline for our CO2 emissions.
- Why it matters: We believe that climate change is one of the most pressing issues our children will face in their lifetimes. Establishing a carbon footprint baseline will allow us to set reduction targets that we will work towards to lower, and eventually eliminate, our contributions to climate change.
- Here’s our goal: By 2030, we will reduce our emissions to 45% of our 2010 levels as recommended by the internationally recognized Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to align with the budget to limit rise in global temperature by 1.5˚C
4) Extending the Life of our Products
- What we are doing: In 2020, the USA launched Everlove™ through which we buy back pre-loved legitimate Ergobaby carriers, clean them, safety test them and resell them on our website.
- Why it matters: Through Everlove, we are building a circular product system that keeps carriers in use for longer and provides greater financial access to our products. Keeping products in use is one of the best ways to save the resources that go into making a new product. In fact, Everlove carriers save 90% of the CO2 emissions compared to making a new carrier.
- Here’s our goal: we are bringing Everlove to our European customers. In 2021, we launched Everlove in the EU markets, extending the distribution of this much loved program. We hope that Everlove will soon contribute to the overall sales of our extensive carrier range. Ergobaby products are designed to carry and comfort the most precious cargo of all. With this in mind, we use exceptional materials and workmanship to create products that families trust day after day, and in many cases, baby after baby. We strive to exceed parents and caregivers expectations not only for comfort and ergonomics, but also quality and durability. Our Ergobaby guarantee offers a lifetime guarantee on all Ergobaby baby carriers and wraps, sending a clear message to parents all over the world that as their families grow, Ergobaby products will be there every step of the way.